For people who are experiencing lactose intolerance, choosing rice milk kefir over dairy products would be a great idea. Rice milk kefir is an excellent alternative beverage for people who have been suffering from allergy problems that are associated with dairy consumption. Here is how you make your own home-made rice kefir.
- 2 clean bottles/containers
- Rubber band
- 1 Rice Milk Carton
- Kefir grains – click here to buy
- Let the sealed rice milk carton stand at a room temperature overnight to keep the milk slightly warm the following morning. Keeping the milk slightly warm is essential in helping to activate the kefir starter. Rice milk usually does not need to be placed in a refrigerator when not yet opened.
- Mix the rice milk and some kefir grains into a clean container. Cover the container with a lid and let it set at a room temperature for 24 hours.
- Stir the mixture around five times during the day. You can do the mixing by simply moving the container in a circular motion or by shaking the container slowly.
- After 24 hours, open the container and then attach two layers of cheesecloth to the top or opening of the container. You may secure the cheesecloth by using a rubber band.
- Prepare the second bottle/container. Be sure to have it thoroughly cleaned.
- Pour in the kefir mixture from the first container to the second container. Do not detach the cheesecloth as it serves as the strainer once you pour the kefir to the other container. You may set aside the kefir grains. Have the grains refrigerated for future use.
- Store the filtered rice milk kefir in the refrigerator. You may serve the completed kefir chilled.