One among the most popular fermented beverages in Asia and Europe is the kefir. Traditionally, kefir is prepared using cow’s milk. However, recent studies showed that it can as well be made by using coconut milk, goat’s milk and with other ingredients. Kefir is closely comparable with yogurt, just like yogurt, kefir also contains good bacteria and it also offers a number of health benefits.
You can enjoy the health benefits of kefir simply by making your own recipe at the comfort of your kitchen. Please check the complete step by step process of making a homemade kefir below.
- Skim milk or whole milk
- Dried Grains
- Glass container with cover
- Fine Strainer
- Freeze the dried grains inside the refrigerator.
- Place the freeze grains into a glass container.
- Add the skim milk or whole milk.
- Cover the glass container.
- Store the Kefir at a room temperature. Keep it in a place away from direct sunlight.
- Let the Kefir ferment for around 12 to 24 hours.
- Shake the kefir once every two hours to speed up the fermentation process.
- Your fermented kefir must be completed after 24 hours.
- Filter the kefir using a fine strainer. Set aside the grains. You may save it for your next kefir-making process.
- You may now enjoy your delicious homemade kefir.